Welcome to this mediterranean diet food list. I am listing all the foods I used to lose weight and the foods that came up in my research on the subject too. Follow the recommendations in this food list and you will notice that you start to lose weight. I went for a gradual weight loss over a year, I was happy with a pound or two a week.
A mediterranean diet is really a lifestyle choice rather a diet. It does not involve calorie counting which was the reason I looked into it when I wanted to lose weight. The more I learned about this lifestyle got me really believing I could do it even at 61. Making lifestyle changes at that age can be daunting but I have proved it can be done.
I lost 56lb over 12 months by changing the foods I was eating. Just because I changed what I was eating didn’t mean I had to lose out on flavour. In fact I would say the food I eat now is more delicious than the junk I was eating before. I still have the odd relapse of course but generally I am much happier making some of the recipes I now eat.
Mediterranean Diet Food List?
If you have ever asked yourself what foods are on a mediterranean diet food list what is the first thing you did? Google it of course. There is an amazing amount of information out there on the subject.
The Mediterranean diet first came to the attention of people in the 1960’s, a report said that people in countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea had less deaths due to coronary heart disease than the US and Northern Europe. Countries like Greece, Italy etc.. had a lifestyle and a healthy way of eating that was obviously working for them.
I read somewhere that the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthy eating plans recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans to promote health and prevent chronic disease. So that should tell you something.
So, what’s a Mediterranean Diet? There is no set diet here as different countries had there own style of cooking .
Basically though, eating more vegetables and fruit and cutting back on the red meat is a good place to start. I have added a list of foods below that the people from these countries eat. If you are interested in trying this way of eating here is a guideline.
- Eat more fruit and vegetables: 5 a day is the well balanced way according to a slogan here in the UK. I have read that others recommend 7 to 10 portions of fruit and veg. I would aim for 5 to start and then increase the amount as you go along.
- Healthy Fats: Use olive oil in cooking instead of butter. Instead of butter or margarine try dipping your bread in flavoured olive oil. I have 2 spanish guys working with me and I have seen them do this. I personally used low fat cheesy spread instead of butter or margarine.
- Wholegrains: Simply switch your white bread to wholegrain, the same with pasta as you see wholegrain pasta everywhere in the supermarkets nowadays.
- Eat Less Meat: Eat fish, poultry or even beans for red meat. If you have to eat red meat go for the less fatty options and watch the portion size.
- Fish: It is recommended you eat fish at least twice a week. Fatty fish, such as mackerel, herring, sardines, albacore tuna, salmon and trout are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a type of polyunsaturated fat that may reduce inflammation in the body.
- Dairy Products: Use the 0% fat greek yoghurt that you can get nowadays, that’s what I use. Also small portions of cheese, some of them out there are delicious. I love cheese as you can tell. Not too much though.
- Spices: All types of spices will liven up the flavour of your dishes and take away the need to add a lot of salt. See below for the different types of spices to use in your cooking.
Mediterranean Diet Food List
Here is a list to give you an idea of what type of vegetables and fruit I mean. It is what I added to my diet to lose weight.
- Butternut Squash
- Green Beans
- Spring Onions
I recommend having frozen vegetables in the freezer. it meant I could use just the amount I wanted without any waste. Saving money was a factor in this too. Just a suggestion though, if you prefer fresh, go with it.
- Kiwi Fruit
Tinned fruit is fine, less waste too.
I have read that in the traditional Mediterranean diet the dairy products are full fat. I personally went for the lower fat options.
- Greek Yoghurt
- Feta Cheese
Meat And Poultry
As I said earlier I cut right back on the red meat and poultry to at the most once a week. I also cut out eating processed meat. The mediterranean diet also includes fish a couple of times a week. Oily fish preferably, like mackerel, sardines fresh or canned, anchovies fresh or canned, cod, shrimp. Fish is healthier for you than fatty meats everyone knows that.
Grains And Breads
- Bread preferably wholegrain
- Egg Pasta
- Pita Bread
Fats And Nuts
A handful of nuts a day is a good snack, better than crisps and biscuits that’s for sure. So what is recommended.
- Pine Nuts
- Sesame Seeds
- Extra Virgin Oil
- White Beans
- Butter Beans
- Yellow Split Pea
- Kidney Beans
Mediterranean Diet Food List
Kitchen Cupboard Items
It is advised to have a selection of these items in your kitchen cupboard. These come in handy for making up meals on the go.
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Tomato Puree(Paste)
- Sundried Tomatoes
I also have tins of mixed beans and tuna in case I want to cook a chilli or a pasta bake. Both delicious by the way.
Herbs and Spices
A range of herbs and spices also come in useful to add flavour to your meals.
- All Spice
- Mixed Herbs
- Italian Herbs
- Sea Salt
I think once you get into the habit of eating this way you will never go back to your old way of eating. It is delicious and healthy, what could be better.
Eggs are also a way to add those extra vegetables into your daily food intake. I have become a frittata expert since cooking for my weight loss. Here is a recipe for you to try and it is delicious.
Mediterranean Diet Food List
I hope this answered your questions on what a mediterranean diet food list looks like? As I said above I used this way of eating to completely change my shape and I am now more full of energy than I have ever been in my adult life. Give it a go and let me know how you get on.
If this old guy can do it , you can too. Leave a comment below and let me know your intentions. Are you going to try it? I hope so.